Making a Monster at Midnight

For this year's Perchtenlauf I decided, rather last minute, to make a completely different costume using a faux fur bean bag chair cover I found.


At 6 pm the night before the lauf, I was sitting with this:



Having no pattern, I modeled it on a vest I had handy. The chair cover I was converting into a "yeti suit" was ombred with pink, which at first irritated me---but I came to like it as I continued to work on the costume.


At 8 pm I got out my trusty (all metal, good people! No plastic here! But also, nothing but straight and zigzag stitches...) mid century sewing machine and began putting seams in for real. I can tell you that I had drifts of faux yeti fur all over my house..


By about 10 pm I had sleeves sewn into the costume and a separate head covering/mask done.



I spent the next two hours creating a horned headdress out of a pair of Halloween devil horns mounted on a sturdy headband that I then mounted the furry headdress on.


At dang near the stroke of midnight, I had a crazy, furry snow monster costume ready to roll for the Lauf the following evening. Sometimes just winging it is the best way to make something work! I had been thinking about a Sasquatch/Yeti type creature for a lauf costume for a couple of years now and was happy to have finally made it happen.



Comments

Popular Posts